NGC 1407

Alt. Designations: NGC 1407
Object Type: elliptic galaxy
Constellation: Eridanus
Distance:   75 mly
Right Ascension: 03h 40m 11.8s
Declination: -18° 34´ 49"
Visual Magnitude: 9.7
Apparent Dimension: 4.6´ X 4.3´
Best Month To View: Dec

NGC 1407 is an eliptical galaxie that is part of a group of galaxies in the constellation of Eridanus, sometimes called the Eridanus Cloud. It is a loose grouping of galaxies at a mean distance of approximately 75 Mly. Redshift values show that there are approximately 200 galaxies associated with the group, approximately 70% of which are spiral and irregular type galaxies whilst the remaining 30% are elliptical and lenticular types.